Re: [TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:26:13 -0500
Brett mused:
>If I didn't know any better, if I stumbled across this thread, I'd get a
bunch of this tower shipped over & put some up myself.  Why bother spending
more money when I can just add guys, more sections & a lot more antenna?
This stuff is much more than the greatest thing since sliced bread... sod
Rohn, sod AN - just stack more of it, slap on some guys & load the dickens
out of it.

LOL es gud luck!

When it comes time to climb your tower, you will be lucky to find a good
climber willing to risk life and limb for you.  There is also a pucker
factor in climbing a tower taller than about 100 feet.  For example, seeing
tree tops below you is a whole new feeling.

Building a safe and secure tower system is never a simple task.  If you are
doing it on a low budget there are many challenges along the way.  Many
hours may be spent searching for used parts.  Some parts may need to be
refurbished/repaired (e.g. re-galvanize tower sections).  Bolts that are
hard to find may be missing.  The list goes on.

IMO, there are two ways to determine the loading a particular tower can
handle: 1) manufacturer's specs; 2) PE's specs.  If you don't want to pay a
PE, you must go with the manufacturer's specs.  If you do neither, you are
going to be using your own judgment which _may_ result in a failed tower.  I
have never seen a collapsed tower caused by weight overloading.  However, I
have seen a few that failed during very high winds where the guys failed.
One was caused by a tree that fell on the guy wire.  Another (my own) was
caused by improper guy installation (to a tree).  When the tree swayed too
far, guy tension was lost and the top half of the tower twisted and buckled
just above the house bracket.  I suppose you could load a tower with too
many long-boom antennas with rotators that could twist the tower
sufficiently to make it buckle, but have never seen this happen.

73, Keith NM5G