Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel Rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Dino Darling" <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel Rotors
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:29:49 -0400
I've had excellent luck with the PST-61 and digital control box turning
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm where the top antennas
are 30 feet above the old tribander.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower30.htm gives a better over all
view.

The tri-bander is 2 feet above the top of a 97' ROHN 45G, the rotor is just
above the top of the white, side mounted vertical.  I've forgotten the
distance, but I think the rotor is about 18 feet below the top thrust
bearing.   The entire weight of the antennas and mast is well over 300#.

>I understand the failure rate is rather high with these rotors.  While
>speaking with a professional recently, I was told to stay clear of
>these.  It sounds like M2 has a very good rotor!

The only problem I've had has been water getting into the motor and gumming
things up at below zero temps.  It starts slowing up when the temperature
hits single digits. I think this is due to me mounting the motor
horizontally to fint in the 45-G.

I've looked at replacing the rotor with one of the new, sealed, DC motors
but the price is about twice what I paid for a few years back so I'll wait
till I need it.

There are other equally good and some less expensive alternatives, but all
are worm gear driven.  The big Hy-gain HDRs didn't last much over a week.
Tail twister makes a good temporary mast mount until  I could get the PST-61
in place.  I'd not hesitate to get another if the money is available, but I
think the current equivelant of a PST61 is close to $1800USD and there are
cheaper alternatives.

The entire assembly has withstood winds in excess of 70 MPH (well over
100kph) on at least 5 occasions since it was put up.

It gets hit by lightening about 3 times a year. (direct hits)
I've had no problem with the control box...so far.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dino...k6rix@earthlink.net