[TowerTalk] KT36XA Performance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT36XA Performance
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:15:24 -0400
I can't make comparisons between my KT36XA and other tribanders or
monobanders, but if you're looking to purchase one, here are some thoughts
based on the experience I've had with using a KT34XA for 17 years or so and
having upgraded it to a KT36XA about three years ago.

1. With the KT34XA I always felt that it was extremely competitive on 20,
disappointment on 15 and really kicked butt on 10.

2. The KT34XA worked flawlessly for the first ten years or so. While it
survived a nasty ice storm it was never the same after. The largest flaw in
the design was the aluminum straps used as shorting bars in the linear
KT36XA is mechanically and electrically sound.

3. Assembly of the antenna is a long project, lots of parts. As you assemble
the antenna, if any of the plastic caps that are used to create the linear
tubes very very snugly, you're going to have a problem with ingress of
water.

4. The caps didn't fit snugly around the newer 3/8 inch tubes provided with
my upgrade kit and I had endless problems with water getting in the tubes
and doing strange things with swr. It would probably have made sense to
replace the newly supplied 3/8 inch tubes, but I decided to use drain holes
on bottom instead.

5. Since reopening or putting drain holes on all the elements, I've had zero
trouble with swr, the curves look like those in the manual and the antenna
rocks on 20 and most importantly now rocks on 15. On ten it still kicks
butt!

73 de Larry K7SV

3.