Re: [TowerTalk] "The Socialized Power Grid"

To: n6kj.kelly@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "The Socialized Power Grid"
From: j4976@juno.com
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:27:47 -0500
Yes, this is true, and I too use a 4Mbps cable connection due to home
business requirements.  However, my understanding is that most DSL and
Cable users nationwide select the 256K line due to pricing, and I
understand that they are happy with it.  I have used satelite connections
in the Carribbean and on ships and found them to be quite suitable for
everything but streaming movie channels, but then you can use the
satelite TV for that anyway.  I have even used a shared connection on a 6
pc network and it was acceptable for typical tasks.

Regarding the other question that popped up about the uplink, you have
the choice of telephone uplink/satelite downlink or you buy the dish with
the transmitter in it and go satelite both ways.  The folks in the
islands use the 2 way option due to poor land line reliability, and they
tell me it runs about 400-800K depending on who you subscribe through.
Many are using ip telephones now as well due to the poor domestic phone
service.