Re: [TowerTalk] Reseting remote computer

To: garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reseting remote computer
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:03:21 -0400
  Remote Back- up Command and Control

<>Primary control of the IRAR station equipment is dependent upon the
remote host server and the Internet link. If the server hangs or the
Internet connection becomes flooded with errors such that normal command
and control signals fail, the control operator should have an
alternative method to enable emergency reset capability of the server.
This secondary (emergency) command and control capability would provide
the ability to switch off AC power to the server, transceiver, linear,
and other accessories, etc. This "necessary" back-up option can be
provided with the use of a second phone line installed at the remote
server location. By installing a DTMF decoder product such as the one
sold by CPS Inc., on the second phone line, an adequate back-up command
and control capability is achieved.  <>NOTE:  If your IRAR station is
located several miles away from your operating position I highly
recommend the installation of either a back-up radio link (440mhz) or
phone line to provide failsafe command and control capability.

Computer Peripheral Systems (CPS), Inc.

<>Phone 770-945-0643 or cpsinc@randomc.com <mailto:cpsinc@randomc.com>
or www.spscom.com.  <>For remote server re-booting and AC power control
via phone lines a product from CPS, Inc is available.  A three port
remote controller is primarily used to selectively reset remote
equipment connected to each of its three control ports. This is
accomplished through a series of touch-tone commands sent over a
standard dial telephone line connection.  CPS, Inc. also sells an
Intelligent Power Strip, which accepts commands from the port controller
for on/off control of AC equipment plugged into the intelligent power
strip. Lastly, there is an I/O assembly available, which installs in the
remote server and accepts commands from the port controller to enable
remote re-boot of the server.

To create a secure back-up remote control functionality via phone lines
the following components are required:

1 - SWT3P-RRC Three Port Remote Reset Controller

1 - SWTAC6-A2 Intelligent Power Strip 6X0

1 - APC2-RJ I/O Assembly

If you server suffers from a power outage many mother board BIOS provide
a feature that will re-boot the system when power is restored (restart
on power up).  A better way to go is with a UPS.  The UPS (APC smart
ups) will detect the power outage, you preset how long you wish the
system to run on battery, then the UPS will issue a command to the
server to shut down (cleanly). When the power is restored (if you are
running XP as the OS or Server 2000) you can set the OS to restart when
power returns. No more currupted application files from hard downs due
to power outages ;-)

Good L:uck,
dave
wa3gin