Re: [TowerTalk] GUY WIRE TENSION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GUY WIRE TENSION
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:13:31 -0400
As others have already said, it depends on the size of the guy wire. The
size of the guy wire depends on the tower.

On a 45G I use 4400 and 6600# test Philystrand .

Use the ROHN tower guide to determine the guy wire size  and from that use
10% of the working strength of the guy wire for tension.

One of the things I have run into on occasion are installations with over
size guy lines as they had bigger antennas than the design wind load
permitted.  Those over size guys had greately exceeded the limits of those
particular towers and the legs had "belled" out between the bolts on the
bottom three sections which required a sturdy jack to get them apart.

To be more specific these were American Steel TV towers supporting some
rather large ham antennas. One had the big Wilson tri-bander on top of 90
feet of AS tower.

> Looking for numbers for tension for 60 foot 25G guyed and
> 100 foot 45G guyed tower vs 120 foot 45G rotating tower.
> Can someone give me some figures?

Go to the radian site
http://www.rohnnet.com/ROHNNET/rohnnet2004/html2004/index.html section on
ROHN towers.  They have the installation figures for 70,80,90,100, and 110
MPH wind loads and guying configurations.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com