Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, "Ken Claerbout" <K4ZW@Staffnet.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:28:57 -0700
Hi Jim,

I don't have any experience with kevlar or fiberglass
kuys other than admiring it on other peoples towers. If
you look at Kurt's website, however, it looks like for the
same 3000 lb tensile load that Phylistran elongates
about 2x as much as EHS with the same ultimate
strength. Likewise the fiberglass guys seems to have a
higher (~2X) tensile modulus compared with EHS.
Kurt is careful to note, however, that you can't generalize
too much as to the properties of fiberglass composites
as they can vary significantly across different resin
systems and manufacturing processes.

If you look at Kurt's tower study (you need to read
down toward the end to see the phylistran case) you
can see that the additional stretchiness of composite
guys can bite you if the base of the guyed tower is
over-constrained (e.g. 3 legged rigid mounting). With
a pier pin, it doesn't matters as the tower just leans a
little more in the wind when the composite guys are
used.

73 de Mike, W4EF.................