Re: [TowerTalk] Grading a ground radial system

To: <Dinsterdog@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grading a ground radial system
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:17:12 -0400
> With radials, big drop in resonant point, impedance drops
at antenna, and
> slightly wider bandwidth at 2:1 SWR bell curve.  So how is
my radial  system
> doing?

Paul,

You really can't tell anything about how the antenna is
radiating by measuring impedance or watching bandwidth. You
only know the radials are doing something good.

I'm just going to echo what W9TM said, you'd really have to
watch field strength while adding radials and see where the
field strength quits increasing. I've seen systems show
almost no change in impedance and still have field strength
increase.

It was a good idea to put the radials in.

73 Tom