Re: [TowerTalk] Grading a ground radial system

To: k3gm_qrp@verizon.net, Jamesnf@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grading a ground radial system
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:26:22 EDT
The reason I didn't mention the antenna is because I already did last  week.
Sorry.

It is the Cushcraft 4080V and is a 1/4 wave length on 80M.

The responses make sense except for one thing.

No one yet has explained why my 2:1 SWR bell curve is broader with the
radials attached.  I thought without radials, I would see significantly  more
bandwidth with the ground losses being greater.

I agree with the 33 +- ohm range.  My 80M 4 square in Wyoming with 240  1/4
radials and 160M Inv L with 120 1/4 radials each had around 30-33+- ohm
impedance's.

I'm just confused on this multiband stuff as this antenna is designed for
40M and 80M.  Right now the lowest impedance reading at resonance I have on
40M
is 50 ohms.  So it looks like the antenna is more efficient on  80M?  This
does not sound right.

My radial field is 20 wires in a 40 degree pattern averaging 30 feet in
length.  Some are short as 10 feet while some goes as long as 90  feet.  Sorry
if
this is repetitive but new responses have asked-

Any suggestions/comments appreciated

73-

Paul  N0AH