Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole suppliers?

To: Daniel Muth <djm7f@virginia.edu>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin pole suppliers?
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:34:35 -0500
At 11:58 AM 5/18/2005, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Not so long ago I posted a request for suggestions regarding a 130' eddy
>covariance flux tower that I plan to erect in Montana this summer.  I
>received a lot of very helpful advice and would like to thank everyone
>for their time and generosity!  Eventually I settled on a Pirod product
>and was very happy with their service and support.  However, Pirod does
>not carry gin poles small enough for my task; many other places (that
>I've google searched) don't carry poles big enough.  The tower is being
>manufactured in twenty foot, 400 lbs. sections.  ERI hasn't returned my
>emails.  Any suggestions?  Thanks again,
>
>DM

Sounds like you are getting to the point of needing some professional
help on the installation.  And any company qualified to do this job would
have their own gin pole.

But if you insist on doing it yourself and if you are prepared to take
the risks associated with a big tower with heavy sections compounded
by a lack of experience then you can do what a number of smaller
companies do and use 30-40 ft of Rohn 25 as a gin pole.  You can always
attach the Rohn 25 gin pole to the tower under construction using
chains and use a decent steel pulley at the top.  Don't skimp on ropes
either.  You need good, BRAIDED rope because twisted rope will
unwind under load causing the sections to spin as they go up.
Mountain climbing ropes will be adequate although I tend to use
1/2 inch Samson stable braid Dacron ropes on my jobs.

Good luck  --  John