Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Sections - Shipping methods ?

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Sections - Shipping methods ?
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:54:09 -0500
Doug:

Also if you notice a bent section don't even accept delivery.  I bought
a crank up tower from Tri-Ex, the original place, in 1992 and when it
arrived I did an inspection, but didn't notice until the freight driver
was pulling out of my driveway that several welds were broken.  I
immediately called Tri-Ex and the freight company, Carolina Freight to
start the damage "claim" processing.  By signing for delivery Carolina
contended that everything was ok.   Carolina sent out an inspector, who
ultimately wrote in his report that I must have damaged the crank up
tower just as the driver was pulling off and they refused to pay.  Like
sure I damaged a $1,300 tower just so I could file a claim.

I ended up having to hire an attorney in Fort Worth, who also was a ham
and had just  represented a woman in a damage claim against another
freight company.  We filed suit against Carolina and also had to name
Tri-Ex so they would testify for us.

We ended up winning the case and a vice-president of Carolina Freight
nearly got charged with barratry (unlicensed practice of law) in Texas,
because he claimed he was the "legal counsel" of Carolina, when in
reality he wasn't licensed to practice law in Texas or any state, nor
did he even have a law degree. This VP came up against the wrong
attorney.  My counsel was a member of the State Bar of Texas' bar
grievance committee, which investigates both the unlicensed practice of
law and alleged wrongdoing against licensed attorneys in Texas. Carolina
Freight ended up paying for all of my attorney's fees,  a new tower, and
shipping it at no cost to me plus picking up the old tower and
transporting it to who knows where.

When Carolina Freight called to schedule the delivery of the new tower I
told them to have their driver "bring lunch" because I wasn't signing
anything until four or five of us went over the tower with a magnifying
glass.  The new tower was partially encased in wood and has "Do Not
Forklift" stenciled on it.  The first tower didn't have any wood crating
and we figure someone on a freight dock someplace just jammed the tines
of a forklift into the tower, smashing the crating, and breaking several
welds.

Don't sign the delivery ticket until you thoroughly inspect any tower
shipped to your home or business.

Tom, WW5L