Re: [TowerTalk] connecting a copper wire to a galvanized tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] connecting a copper wire to a galvanized tower
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:31:57 -0500
In reference to the use of aluminum alloy lugs to connect copper ground
wires to a tower:

I am wrestling with the same problem right now.  Especially since I just
found out that you can't strap anything to the legs of a crankup. (The
inside sections slide against these legs). The aluminum alloy lug
recommendation seems to me, to be better that most I have heard so far.
I know most people recommend using stainless steel shims between copper
conductors and galvanized tower legs, probably because that is the way
Polyphaser makes their clamps, but I am still trying to figure out why
stainless steel is good to use in this application.

If I can remember any basic chemistry, the object here is to minimize
the galvanic potential difference between the metals that are exposed to
the electrolyte.  Another goal is to maximize the area of of most anodic
metal exposed to the electrolyte (in this case the zinc tower), compared
to the area of the cathodic metal. In the case of attaching a clamp to a
tower, the area between the clamp and tower is the same for both
materials, since the water may penetrate this junction, but the whole
thing is not going to be emerged in water. This may not be true for the
copper to clamp connection, depending upon how the clamp is made. In the
galvanic series, zinc is around -.98 to -1.03, aluminum alloys are -.76
to -1.0, copper is -.3 to -.57, and stainless steel varies a lot
depending upon the alloy and may be -.46 to 0.0.  So why is it better to
insert stainless steel between the copper and zinc?  Seems to me a
better choice is to use aluminum alloy between the tower (zinc) and the
copper, assuming you are trying to protect the galvanized tower.  The
clamp (or intermediate material) to copper connection is still at risk
for corrosion.  Am I missing something here? Comments?

In any case, when you are making a transition between two metals widely
dissimilar, such as copper and zinc, no matter which intermediate
materials you use, there is potential for galvanic corrosion. It seems
to me that the only way to really eliminate the corrosion is to use a
good antioxidant on the joint and seal it against water.  Oh, and also
avoid materials which corrode badly by themselves, such as raw steel.

I'm not sure which clamp you purchased, but I also purchased a standard
electrical clamp to test (Home Depot type).  I don't think it was tin
plated, it seems to be raw aluminum alloy.  It tests at only 30 mv
different from raw soft aluminum.  Tin is closely matched to copper, but
not so close to zinc, so I think I would choose the aluminum alloy clamp.

Jerry