Re: [TowerTalk] "House" Method of Raising a Tilt-Over Tower

To: regates@kingwoodcable.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "House" Method of Raising a Tilt-Over Tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:07:16 EDT
Hi, Bob --

    First, congratulations on your new QTH! Woo woo!!! Pretty exciting having
a blank sheet of paper.

    Secondly, HOLY CRAP! Unless you're a REALLY CLEVER engineer and
fabricator, please don't do it. The pucker factor involved in the operation of
this
structure is HUGE! I've seen 25G/45G tiltover towers that were DESIGNED to be
titled up and down broken many times due to unforseen circumstances. Yes, I've
seen the falling derrick stuff but I personally would never try it. Call me old
fashioned but there are a couple of really good and safe ways to build what
you want and none of them include a moving tower and antenna system.

    While you admitted that you can't climb, why don't you hire someone to do
it? Once it's "professionally" built, there's no reason why you should have
to climb it again for a long time.

    Have you ever spent much time on a big tower handling big tower loads? If
not, you have no idea of the forces involved.

    Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -