[TowerTalk] Universal Tower query

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal Tower query
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:09:55 -0500
Barry, I currently operate 3 Universal towers.  One 80', one 70' and one 50'
First of all, don't ever, ever, repeat, ever try to "walk-up" a tower like the
instructions indicate.  Many years ago when I got my very first tower, me and a
friend tried to walk up a 50' version with a large 2m beam on the top. All is
fine until you get the tower up at around 70 degrees or so....then you realize
what a stupid mistake you have made as all your might is not moving the tower
up any more and your weak enough at this point not being able to safely lower
it back down.  Your stuck and wondering if you can move quickly enough out of
the way when you let her go......I can honestly say it was a pretty scary
maneuver.

Anyway, all 3 of mine have been climbed many many times and they have survived
years of harsh weather and several moves. I would not hesitate to buy again.

Gedas, W8BYA

e-mail  w8bya@mchsi.com
online gallery  http://gedas.cc
web page  http://www.w8bya.com

I am thinking of installing a Universal Tower 21-40 with a F12 C-4XSL on
top.
After reading the on-line installation instructions, I am lead to believe
that
all antenna fitting is to be done on the ground then the whole thing
"walked"
to the vertical.  Does this mean the tower is NOT meant to be climbed after
it is erected?  Anyone out there have one of their towers?  Experiences?
TNX / 73,
Barry - W1HFN