[TowerTalk] Need Vertical Advice...Want to use for "spotting"

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Vertical Advice...Want to use for "spotting"
From: Aidehua@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:20:28 EDT
Read about the Comet CHA-250B.  This antenna is interesting to me, as  it
covers all bands continuously, 1.5-50 MHz (I am an SWL, too).

My ultimate plan is to put up my 70' tower, with multiple beams  (Steppir
7-30 MHz antenna, 80m rotatable dipole, etc).

I thought it would be good to have a vertical as a "spotting antenna" to
monitor band openings with omni directional capability....

I thought about the Steppir Vertical but this allows listening to only one
band at a time, albeit very efficiently!  Then I thought about the  Butternut
because it is a good vertical and allows simultaneous reception of  multiple
bands.

The downside with both is that they're at roof level because of the radials
requirement.  So, because of that, is a vertical worth it?

I had also looked at a Cushcraft but felt it had too much windload to mount
atop my tower....Too tall!

Enter the Comet....Lightweight, broadbanded, low profile, etc.....Question
is, will I get what I need by mounting this vertical atop my tower, which would
 elevate this to almost 90'??

Do you know of other DXers who use a vertical for spotting openings??   I
envision using my Icom 7800 to scan various bands so that I can focus on
openings, switch to the beam and point/shoot.  Vertical are also good  for
nets...

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

73,
Ed NI6S