Re: [TowerTalk] Need Vertical Advice...Want to use for "spotting"

To: 'Tom Rauch' <w8ji@contesting.com>,"R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>, Charlie <ad5th@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Vertical Advice...Want to use for "spotting"
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:57:54 -0700
::The June 2005 issue of CQ Magazine reviews a new Comet HF vertical antenna
that's only 20-30 dB down from a real antenna!  That was quite an
eye-opener.  Evidently, there is such a thing as a multiband E-H.  -WB2WIK/6

I'd look at QST and other reviews of Gap antennas where they
are compared to trap verticals.

There is a HF Vertical Comparison sold by Champion radio
that agrees with the reviews, and my own measurements found
the Gap really very poor on lower bands compared to a trap
vertical. Of course for receiving that does not matter, but
then the Gap has major issues with common mode on the
feedline and that's bad for receiving.

Since this is just a spotting application, DX Engineering
just released a high quality active receiving antenna. It
has the advantage of being able to be used as a dipole or
vertical, and uses a CB whip(s) for the element.

73 Tom