Re: [TowerTalk] modeling interaction

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] modeling interaction
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:23:22 -0700
At 09:35 AM 6/22/2005, K4SAV wrote:
>Actually, you have to do both. A real implementation will have an
>attached transmission line.  This transmission line, at a particular
>frequency, may appear as an open, a short, or most anything in between,
>depending on the length of the line, and how the unused end is
>termninated. So, you are probably OK if there is no interaction with the
>source either open or shorted.
>
>You can also use this effect to good advantage.  You can reduce antenna
>interaction by detuning the unused antenna, by proper choice of length
>and termination of the unused line.  Works at only one frequency,
>however. (unless a switching arrangement is used).
>
>Note: Another NEC2 quirk to watch out for: You can't place a load
>directly across a source by placing it at the same location. It usually
>places the load in series instead of parallel, and sometimes it does
>something different (never bothered finding out exactly what, just that
>it doesn't work correctly).  Don't know about NEC4.

NEC4 works identically to NEC2 in this way. I just do it by removing the
excitation and replacing it with a LD of the appropriate value.  You can
also put a NT or TL in, and specify appropriate admittances.

One advantage of leaving the excitation in (and specifying a very small
voltage that's effectively zero (like 1E-6,0)) is that NEC prints the
current flowing through each excitation, so you can easily determine the
mutual Z, without having to hunt through all the segment currents for the
one you want. (Yes, one could write a little program to scan the output of
the PT).  Much easier to just do a series of LD, EX, and XQs