Re: [TowerTalk] SPAM-LOW: MonstIR install

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SPAM-LOW: MonstIR install
From: "Scott Honaker" <scotthon@pilchuckvet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:08:18 -0700
I'll mention this just because it's a concept unique to the SteppIR design.
I don't know how you might implement it in your situation.

When I installed my SteppIR initially, I mounted it in the tower with the
elements retracted and tubes collapsed.  This is not a MonstIR so it was
only 16'x8' collapsed (smaller than a 6m yagi) and was much simpler to
handle this way.  My roof has a very steep pitch and the antenna reachable
from the peak.  Once mounted, I had someone inside rotate the antenna until
the first joint was over the peak where I was standing.  I was then able to
reach up and extend the tubes completely.

Even the MonstIR would be substantially smaller with the tubes retracted (I
haven't measured it).  If it could be rotated over a manlift in a relatively
fixed location, the tubes could be extended manually afterwards.

Just a thought...

Scott N7SS