Re: [TowerTalk] Tower placement

To: "Bill Axelrod" <bill@axelrods.org>,"Paul" <paul.reiter@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower placement
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:50:45 -0700
At 08:58 AM 6/26/2005, Bill Axelrod wrote:
>Paul,
>
>      I'm not sure I have any meaningful conclusions.  I took the advice I
>got and modeled the terrain against my planned antenna.  Spent a lot of time
>at it and have no viable answers.  I guess the terrain is confused enough
>that any location provides a different set of answers with no clear winner.
>The only "bad" area is to the south and that's no matter where I put it.

Which is actually a pretty useful conclusion from modeling.. what it means
is that you can ignore propagation as a siting criteria, and obssess about
some other aspect. Like where it will make the coax runs shortest, or where
it will be visually most impressive (or, perhaps least obtrusive), or where
it's cheapest to dig the base and get the concrete truck into.

This, to me, is one of the most useful things about modeling.  It's not the
gnat's eyelash predictions of performance, but the general understanding
about what's good, bad, or indifferent.