Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a New Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a New Tower
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:22:09 +0000
To those veterans of this reflector sri abt being a broken record but I feel
compelled again to state my opinion.

First my response to these types of opinions,

"All that being said, if <city name> doesn't say it's ILLEGAL and they are
more or less willing to look the other way, I would begin construction
 today. Forgiveness is almost always easier to get than permission."

is, Yea Right.  Are these folks or you who may be considering this course of
action, willing to take the tower down or pay big legal bucks if you're wrong?
Go to the HamLaw reflector and ask the legal experts their opinions on this.  I
know what they will all advise.

"so I don't need a permit of any kind"? They said "no not needed".

When I moved to unincorporated Will County, this is what the permit folks
concluded also.  My contention was then and is still now that even though your
local ordinances may specifically not require a permit for a tower, most do
require a permit to install structural concrete (that's concrete with
structural reinforcing in it).  All towers will have structural concrete and
therefore you should be able to obtain a permit for this alone.  That's what
happened with me; I was very insistent on obtaining a permit from the county.
Building inspectors inspect concrete; that's what they live for!  The
neighboring city is encroaching and one day I'll be glad I installed my towers
(legally) since the city has very restrictive tower ordinances and I'll save
myself legal fees by being grandfathered in.  The electrical department decided
to chime in on my permit process (for a fee of course) since there was
electrical going to the rotator.  I had already won the war so chose not to
fight
  that battle (low voltage only).  Good luck.  When in doubt solicit expert
help (be careful of using this reflector for conclusive advice).  Phil  KB9CRY