Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Portable Tower Solutions, vs Regulations

To: 'Pat Barthelow' <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Portable Tower Solutions, vs Regulations
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:54:46 -0700
Pat, I've already done that and thought of this many years ago.

I bought a 65' motorized and licensed (DMV) tower trailer in 1980 when I
lived back in New Jersey.  Thankfully where I lived there were no CC&Rs and
only a fairly loose tower ordinance, but this was an experiment and I wanted
the trailer for portable work anyway.  It was a Tri-Ex MW65 with a HAM-III
on it and a crankover mechanism on a well designed tower with levelers and
outriggers and fully roadworthy with lights, safety chains etc.

My local building and safety inspector notified me pretty quickly that
although this was a mobile vehicle, it would not be permitted to leave the
tower "erect" and elevated for a variety of reasons covered by municipal
code, restricting the size of trailers parked longer than overnight on
private property and lots of other stuff.

In most communities there is a "disturbing the peace" ordinance that sweeps
with a very wide broom as well and can often be used to defend against
almost anything out of the ordinary that isn't specifically permitted.

Where I lived (Mt. Olive, NJ at the time), my permanently installed and
permitted towers were okay and could stay up forever, but the trailer had to
go!  And I thought it was rather pretty....

-WB2WIK/6