Re: [TowerTalk] Portable Tower Solutions, vs Regulations

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable Tower Solutions, vs Regulations
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:59:52 -0700
At 03:47 PM 7/21/2005, Pat Barthelow wrote:
>Folks:
>
>If the daunting task of permitting, engineering, constructing, and
>implementing a fixed tower at your home runs into so many roadblocks,
>hinderances, can you/we rethink this?
>
>If you purchased a motorized, self supporting, tower trailer...say a 65
>footer,  from a commercial supplier, and parked it beside, behind, your
>house, or elsewhere on your property, set the outriggers or other temporary
>structural support members, and mounted your antennas on it, could you be
>exempt from some (any?) of the regulatory headaches that accompany a
>permanent installation?
>As long as the tower trailer was licensed, and able to be moved, could
>authorities argue effectively against its use as a temporary antenna support
>in your yard?  If it worked so well that it became 'long term' temporary,
>would that be grounds for the opposition to demand that you stop?
>
>73, DX, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com

I believe there's someone who actually bolted many tens of feet of Rohn 25
into the back of a defunct pickup parked in the driveway, guyed it, etc.

I also know of people who run coax out to their car and hook up to a larger
than normal mobile antenna and a conveniently placed ground connection next
to the car.

But, around here, the anti-trailer/RV folks are just as tenacious, if not
more so, than the anti-antenna folks.  Unless you are thinking of deploying
and stowing each time you want to operate, I suspect that the local code
enforcement people would be on you pretty quick.  And that trailer is going
to look suspiciously "commercial" which would violate many HOAs rules (no
parking "work trucks" in your driveway, for instance). You can typically
get away with parking a big trailer in front of your house or on your
driveway for a weekend (while loading and unload or in connection with a
construction project).  If you've got enough land, you might be able to
park the trailer in your "RV parking" spot next to the house or in the back
yard, as long as it's hidden from view (and with a 65 foot tower sticking
up, it's not too hidden!)

However, it IS a clever approach, and is certainly a step in the right
direction.  I've often thought that you could hide a Beverage pretty well
in the common area that runs behind all the houses on my street.  Too bad
it doesn't point anywhere useful except the south pole.