Re: [TowerTalk] The CW filter and dumbing down

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The CW filter and dumbing down
From: Chuck Gooden <cgooden@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:19:07 -0500
Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML wrote:

> Examining the myths of CW we find at the top of the list "CW kept the
> CBers out."

All one needs to do is to tune across the HF Bands and listen to the
bickering going on, or listen to your local repeaters, or the whining
that hams do on email reflectors.  Doing so you will soon realize the
CB'ers are in ham radio already.

Why don't I see those who are correcting the misinformation that is
being published in QST writing articles to correct it?  Why do we sit
back an complain about no code, or the declining technical standards in
ham radio when we don't teach classes on the electronic theory, or
operating practices.

IMHO, the hobby has already been lost...just look at the pictures of any
recent hamvention.  What do you see but a lot of gray haired, grumpy old
men.

Now point your broswer to http://www.youngeagles.org and look at what
another organization is doing to keep the interest alive with youngster
in their hobby.  Over 1,155,096 kids have been introduced to avaition
since the program started.  Just this year alone, they have introduced
over 155,096 kids to aviation.

It seems like all the hams just want to complain about no coders but are
unwilling to assist them in learning ham radio. If YOU want ham radio to
grow, hams must have respect for others.  Stop talking about all the bad
drivers on the roads and start praising individuals for providing the
necessary dedication and personal commitment need to teach a class, or
work a public service event, or go out on skywarn drills.  Only then
will ham radio grow. But it will never grow with all of the infighting
that is taking place.

Just my $0.02 worth.