Re: [TowerTalk] aircraft bearing

To: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aircraft bearing
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:05:31 -0400
<snip>

> So you think that it's a waste of money to spend $100 each for one or more
> of the bearings that AN Wireless sells?

Not at all.  I'm just saying there are alternatives such as the pieces of
plastic cutting board and oiled hardwood blocks.  I'm using two commercial
"thrust" bearings that are designed to hold weight and to take side thrust,
but that is due to the rotator being wayyyy down in the tower. <:-))

Myself, I prefer the commercial bearings, but that is a personal preference
and my system is pushing the limits according the calculations.  I'm
planning on taking the UHF and VHF arrays at 130 feet, down. That'll make
the top antenna my 7L 6-meter beam at 115 feet although I may squeeze in 144
and 440 beams lower.  It's also time to do an "oil change" and check of the
rotor which had water get in it last winter.  However I want it to cool down
a bit first, but I also want to get it done well before cold weather gets
here.

*Many* years ago when I was a kid on the  farm we used hard wood pillow
blocks with Babbitt bearings poured into them for some of the farm
equipment.  That same equipment today would be using roller bearings.  We
had to pour new bearings every year, but the work environment is such that
they still change out the roller bearings every couple of years.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com