Re: [TowerTalk] 160 inverte L

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 inverte L
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:58:27 -0500
The MFJ259 doesn't give you the resistive part of the impedance when the
SWR is not equal to 1:1.  From the tests I have done with it , I think
it is giving you the total impedance.  In the mnual, they imply that at
minimum SWR reading, you can read the resistance, but this is not true,
if that SWR is far away from 1:1.

As you measured, you can have a 3:1 SWR and read 40 ohms on the meter.
This says that the equivalent impedance of the circuit being measured is
40 ohms.  It doesn't tell you anything about the actual resistance or
reactance of the load. The SWR is defined in term of reflection
coefficients, not in terms of resistance ratios, or in terms of
equivalent impedance ratios.  In your case, you have a circuit with high
reflection coefficients (caused by high reactance).

Also when the meter reads minimum SWR, this is not necessarily the exact
resonant point.  Minimum SWR doesn't always coincide with zero
reactance.  It is usually close but not exact.

When I was using the MFJ259 and needed to know the actual R+jX,  I used
to take a variable cap or a variable inductor and put in in series with
the load being measured, set the MFJ to the frequency I wanted, tune the
cap or inductor for minimum R.  This will tune out the reactance of the
load and let you measure the actual resistive part at this frequency.
To get the reactive part, I would measure the cap/inductor on a bridge
and calculate the reactance of the load.  A lot more trouble than using
the MFJ259B, but if it's all you got...

Jerry, K4SAV