Re: [TowerTalk] 160 invertde L

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 invertde L
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:18:03 -0700
> As you measured, you can have a 3:1 SWR and read 40 ohms on the meter.
> This says that the equivalent impedance of the circuit being measured is
> 40 ohms.  It doesn't tell you anything about the actual resistance or
> reactance of the load. The SWR is defined in term of reflection
> coefficients, not in terms of resistance ratios, or in terms of
> equivalent impedance ratios.  In your case, you have a circuit with high
> reflection coefficients (caused by high reactance).

Hi Jerry

OK, now were getting somewhere.  I'm really not too concerned if the meter
is a good one or not.  The swr in the shack meter agrees with what the
analyzer says.

Without all the meter readings etc, if I did have a SWR of 3:1 with a 50 ohm
cable, that would mean the impedance at the feedpoint could be 16.6 ohms or
it would be 150 ohms.  I can't figure why it would be clear down to 16.6 as
I know the radials are in good shape.  I trimmed all the ends and
re-soldered them so they would be fresh.  Would the presence of the 80 meter
dipole about 6-8 feet away from the point where the antenna goes from
horizontal to vertical mess it up that bad.
Tom W7WHY