Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi lightning protection

To: "Dave Anderson, K4SV" <davek4sv@yahoo.com>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi lightning protection
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:54:39 -0400
There is no way to cure that potential lightening hit. Maybe an "air
terminal" on top of the tower.  Jury is still out on that.

However, without knowing the particulars of the switching, is there an
"automatic" way of doing the switching by using transmission line stubs to
accomplish the same thing as the relay?

If not, replace the relays and cross your fingers.  How long was the antenna
up before the hit?  Assume that to be the MTBF, and if that is acceptable,
consider it a part of the maintenance of the antenna..  If not, try a
different antenna without active components up in the air that you can not
get at to fix easily.  That is precisely my situation and why I don't do
relays up in the air.

73,
Chuck...K1KW