[TowerTalk] birds/QRO RF on antennas

To: gdaught6@stanford.edu, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] birds/QRO RF on antennas
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:19:44 -0700
I often wondered if birds on wire antennas can 'feel' High power RF running
through their feet.  I tested this question, keying 1KW on 80m to a Discone
at N6IJ.  A large crow often alighted on the disk part of the discone, and
immediately flew off it the instant I keyed the TX. A couple of reptitions
of that, and I never saw the crow use the antenna as a landing target.  It
seemed that in that case the RF was definitely felt by the crow, but I dont
know if that is generally the case on many antennas, or Frequencies or
birds...  any other experiences?

73, DX, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com