Re: [TowerTalk] birds on antennas

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] birds on antennas
From: John E.Cleeve <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:01:48 +0100
On Tue Aug 30 12:44 , Cqtestk4xs@aol.com sent:
Guano corrosion(birds on antennas)

Adding my twopenny worth from the UK. I have found that in order to
preserve the electrical integrity of my yagi elements, I coat the
entire yagi structure, less the insulators, of course, with a vehicle
under/inner body rust protection product called "Waxoyl", it comes in
two versions, clear, and a thicker version for stone chip, and severe
underbody conditions, black. This product is easily handled, the clear
version being like liquid beeswax. This coating protects aluminium,
and anything else for that matter, from the ingress of moisture, and
also the agressive action of the guano, which, in my case is left by
sleeping pigeons, and if allowed to remain, will creep between the
mating sections of the yagi elements, can cause corrosion and an
eventual open circuit. If necessary, "Waxoyl", when dry, is easily
wiped off, with a cloth dipped in white spirit. I believe the product,
manufactured by Hammerite in the UK, is marketed in the USA under the
name of "Rustguard". I have used this product for over twenty years
now, and yagi element joints, that have been coated with
clear "Waxoyl" for that period of time, have been nice and clean, with
no signs of corrosion, when opened for checking,  despite what the
sleeping pigeons have left behind....... but when they drop it on your
clean shirt, left out to dry on the line, well, thats a different
problem!!! regards...John. G3JVC.