Re: [TowerTalk] Rain static

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rain static
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:47:15 -0500
Thanks for a very clear explanation, David. This is starting to make a
lot of sense, and explains different instances of precipitation static.

For stationary towers, the electric field gradient across the tower,
creating the coronal discharge, makes a lot of sense to me.  It explains
the data, whereas the charged particle theory does not explain all the
data (my opinion).

In the case of my mobile rig in the rain, the car is being charged by
the charged rain drops (just like the airplanes). Which correlates with
the observation, the faster I go, the worse it gets. (I have observed as
much as 40dB increase in rain static between 0 and 60 mph.) I'm not sure
where on the vehicle the largest discharge point would be. Is my vehicle
discharging to the ground or upward toward the clouds? I would think it
would be much worse if the point of discharge was from the antenna.
Maybe it is discharging from many points on the vehicle.

I have a friend who had a similar problem, but occurring without rain.
He had static which was proportional to vehicle speed (no it was not
ignition noise) without rain present.  When he stopped the vehicle,
after a few seconds the static would gradually disappear. At the time,
it was clear to me that this was a static charge/discharge problem, but
I was unsure as to what the charging mechanism was.  I was thinking
maybe it had to do with charge being generated by friction between his
tires and the pavement. Maybe the charge was being picked up by dust
particles?  But if it was dust particles, why did not the same thing
happen to my vehicle?  Any speculation as to the charging mechanism?

So you don't need precipitation to cause "precipitation static".  Seems
like the name is a misnomer, much like the "single point ground" name,
although it is unlikely to cause as many problems as the latter.

Jerry, K4SAV