Re: [TowerTalk] Rain static

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rain static
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:20:40 -0000

> Given this discussion I have a question of application, if I may?
>
> Does the presence of this static, often capable of gathering to
> a significant potential, suggest that we need surge protection
> on both base and mobile gear?

in at least some cases yes, I had a radio front end blown out once by pure
electric field gradient.  I was in the high desert in Colorado, I think it
was, and started hearing a ticking in the radio and the rx went mostly deaf.
I disconnected the coax and it was arcing from center conductor to shell
about 1/sec, then would slowly speed up, then there would be a lightning
stroke miles away from a dry storm, the ticking would stop, then slowly
build up again until there was another stroke.  There was no wind, no
blowing dust, and the truck wasn't moving, so there was no source except
pure electric field gradient... I sure did not want to step out of the truck
at that point!

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net