Re: [TowerTalk] Pull rope recommendation

To: Scott Neader KA9FOX <ka9fox@qth.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pull rope recommendation
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:56:44 -0700
At 09:03 AM 9/19/2005, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
>At my new QTH, I buried 4 inch drain tile (the stuff with the bumps & drain
>holes) from the house to the tower.  Two runs of the stuff.  300 ft from
>house to tower.  Mainly for small wires (rotor, relays, etc.) and perhaps
>some future small coax runs.  8 runs of hardline were also placed in the
>trench, as was some direct bury AC (3 runs of 12-2 if I remember
>right).  But I digress...
>
>Can you recommend a type of rope that can sit in the drain tile without
>disintegrating and also handle the duty of pulling some small coax, rotor
>wires, etc?

The utilities use fairly inexpensive polypropylene rope or twine for pull
lines around here (southern california).  I don't think it has any special
treatment.  The smallest diameter I've seen has been probably 1/4" or
3/8".  You get the stuff in a cardboard box that self spools out the middle.
http://www.electrical-supply.net/category.asp_Q_parentID_E_13

Has some.. a 5 gallon pail for $30, rated at 230lbs.  That's polyolefin, so
it might be a bit stretchy.

Typical usage is to use the cheap twine to pull a better rope/tape through
that you then pull the cable through with.