Re: [TowerTalk] Coefficient of coupling

To: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>,Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coefficient of coupling
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:02:54 -0700
At 10:38 AM 9/26/2005, Lee A Crocker wrote:
>It is true the measurement is at audio freq, and
>it will not be the equivalent of a HP phase gain
>meter, or a VNA or other such device.  For 160M, it
>will be better than determining inductance by
>(R^2*n^2)/(9r+10L), which is his alternative, and it
>only cost a buck.

You can do a LOT better than the Wheeler equation these days, and the
software is free.

>My comment was directed specifically at measuring
>inductance and not at directly measuring coupling.

Sure, but 2MHz is a long way from 1 kHz, and 30MHz is even more so.. not
that some sliding around of the taps won't compensate, but just you want to
be aware of the limitations with measuring parts with significant parasitic
C with an audio bridge.