Re: [TowerTalk] grounding

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:42:10 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/05 2:10:50 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
jimlux@earthlink.net writes:
There's also the risk assessment.. Where I'm located in southern
California, lightning just isn't a big risk.  My gear is more likely to get
zapped by a power line transient than lightning.  If I lived in Pueblo
Colorado, and had a 150 ft tower, I think my analysis would be different.
Good point.  Living in CA is a lot different from FL.  Living in FL is not a
matter of "if" I get hit, but "when".

Making any claim in FL on your homeowners makes you a candidate for
cancellation.  The insurance companies don't have to give any reason for
cancellation..just that they say they want to reduce risks in your county.  If
your
insurance is canceled, most times it is impossible to find any homeowners
insurance.
As a result you are forced into the state financed pool, which by law has to
charge the highest rate prevailing in that area.

If the guys in FL seem to be paranoid about lightning hits, we are.  We live
in lightning capitol of North America and finding insurance after a claim can
be almost impossible to find except at wildly inflated rates.  That's why a
redundant method of Polyphasers AND pulling the plugs makes sense for us.

Bill K4XS