Re: [TowerTalk] Taking delivery of crankup tower

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Taking delivery of crankup tower
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:42:47 -0600
Kelly:

Be sure you don't put too much strain on any one point on the tower as
you are unloading/moving it.

In 1993 I ordered A TriEx WT51 and apparently somewhere along the way
Carolina Freight used a forklift to lift it from the bottom and sprung
some of the welds at the base where it attaches to the concrete base.
 These were small cracks that I didn't notice before I unloaded it and
had signed for it.  I ended up suing Carolina Freight in order to get
their attention.  Their loss/damage department claimed I "damaged" my
own tower after taking it off the truck.  The trouble was I just wasn't
fast enough to catch the driver as he was speeding down the street from
my house.  I was on the phone with Carolina's damage department before
their truck even got off my block.

The new tower I received was crated and had "DO NOT FORKLIFT" stenciled
on the crating.  I guess the freight dock people with Carolina Freight
couldn't read.

When you get your tower, no matter how you get it off the truck, DON'T
sign anything from the freight company until you do a thorough
inspection of every weld, etc.  If you discover damage later, the
freight company will probably try to claim you caused it.

When Carolina brought my new tower I told their dispatcher to warn their
driver "to bring lunch" because I wasn't signing anything until my
unloading crew checked every weld, etc. on the new tower.

Tom, WW5L