Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter quad loops

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter quad loops
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:25:18 -0500
Hi Bill,

I have a similar system, four 2-element quads, 50 meters high,
at azimuths of 45, 150, 225 and 290 degrees.  I also lengthen
the reflectors by adding wire to move them down the CW band.

At one time I had planned to install relays to add inductance to
switch the reflectors from SSB to CW, but I never implemented
it because of concerns about lightning induced relay failures.

Later,  I discovered that the quads work very well on SSB when
the reflectors are set for CW, but the converse is not true.  So I
leave them set for CW except for a few weekends each year.

My amplifiers (monoband 3-1000Z) easily handle the high
VSWR on SSB when the quads are set to CW; however, there
are many solutions to this problem if your amplifiers are
sensitive to high VSWR.

73!
Frank
W3LPL