Re: [TowerTalk] Identify Remote Rotary Antenna Switch

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Identify Remote Rotary Antenna Switch
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 07:57:29 -0600
Bill--

Sounds like it might be an old W0MLY switch with a Ledex drive.
The "motor" is a Ledex mechanism that jumps to the next position
when it is hit with a voltage.  The phenolic switch is what controls
when it stops.

Someone took over the building of these after Dick got too old to
do it anymore.   Might have been the early days of Antenna Mart
and later Max-Gain Systems.

Obviously a photo would help identify it.  I made a copy of one
many years ago and I just ran across it.  It would show my version
of the thing.  The only bad thing is that when the control wafer is
making/breaking it is sparking so there is a burst of RF noise
that some RR choke may help to eliminate.

I'll see if I can dig out mine this morning and shoot a photo of it.
That way you can see whether my Ledex looks like yours.   The
Ledex is sorta the precursor of a stepper motor.

--John

A little bit of research turns this up
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2439

Apparently it is no longer made.   The original W0MLY version was
a bit cruder.   But this will give you a bit of an idea to see if I am onto
the right track.