Re: [TowerTalk] Crossfield Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crossfield Antenna
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:06:11 +0000
Charles Engman wrote:
>Nothing wrong with experimenting. The explanation of the physics of how
>that thing works is a matter for debate.
>
>In real terms, dinky (with respect to wavelength) antennas are not
>efficient and do not have the capture area of a conventional one
>quarter or half wave form.
>
>Claims about performance should be tempered with moxy. A metal lawn
>chair will radiate. Mine radiates when I eat beans!
>

>Next week: No radials required Verticals. (ground losses, anyone?)

Cable radiation, anyone?

I've yet to see a review of a CFA/EH that demonstrated the reviewer
understood that possibility, took serious precautions against it, and
then measured it. Lacking all that, the feedline current could be
radiating as much as the antenna under test... or more.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK