Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North

To: "'K8RI on Tower talk'" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:40:09 -0600
Ok here is the boy scout question of the year.

I have a logging program that gives me long path and short
path degrees to the target stations call sign based on the
call sign prefix and maiden head locator, but where is
zero degrees and how do I find out without a compass while
standing outside at my antenna?

  73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

K8RI
> on Tower talk
> Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 8:58 PM
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True
North

> > Us guys in the south USA also have another way of
determining ture
> > north.  You can find lots of references in the
archives. I
> wonder if
> > it works in VK land.
>
> I live in Central Michigan and the whole north side of
my
> garage and shop
> get covered with moss if I don't pressure wash them and
use a
> fungiside at
> least once a year, but this is the short stuff, not the
long
> stringy kind.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL 40 year Life Member)
> N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
> www.rogerhalstead.com
>

> > Jerry, K4SAV
> >

> > VK2SN - Sean P Neylon wrote:
> >
> >>Dear all,
> >>

> >>I am just about to stand up my tower with everything
ready to
> >>go.yippee..at
> >>last..
> >>

> >>I have Azimuth and Elevation Positioners M2 OR2800PDC
and
> M2 MT1000
> >>see www.vk2sn.com <http://www.vk2sn.com/>  for further

> details of my
> >>set-up.
> >>

> >>My location is in the city of Sydney Australia  S33
53'
> 12.6''   and
> >>E151  14'  45.4''    Grid   QF56oc
> >>

> >>To start with I will calibrate my poisoners to True
North
> for Nova and
> >>such., then once up and running, I will use the Sun or
whatever to
> >>further calibrate via the controller for accuracy.
But I
> want to at
> >>least get it close to accurate before I put the tower
up.

> >>I also cant really re-adjust once it goes up, I have
> pull it down
> >>and
> >>so
> >>on.its very heavy for one person, so Im hoping to get
> things sorted before
> >>it goes up,..plus its too dangerous to climb and Im
not one
> for climbing
> >>towers..I like my kids and want to see them live for a
very
> long time.I
> >>don't have the experience.smile.I'll do most things in

> life..but not climb
> >>towers on houses..!!!
> >>

> >>So the question is, I will use a compass to choose
North,
> but this is
> >>Magnetic North, to get True North, how many degrees do
I add or
> >>subtract from Magnetic North.or where can I find this
info,
> or how can
> >>I calculate it from my Sydney position - because I
gather its
> >>different for everyone re Latitude.
> >>

> >>By the way, I hope this makes sense, the last time I
had to
> figure out
> >>where
> >>I was by using a compass was when I was about 14 years

> old..so I would
> >>like
> >>some advice..
> >>

> >>Please advise if Im doing this right, or is there a
much better and
> >>easy
> >>way
> >>to sort/calibrate this situation..