Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:15:38 -0500
Since the original question was posted by a VK station, it might be worth
noting that using Polaris to locate north can only be done in the northern
hemisphere.  It is not visible below the equator.

Down there you'll need to locate south and flip that 180.  But, there is no
"south star" such that the south end of the earth's axis points almost
directly at it.  But, there is some bizarre combination of
constellations/stars and drawing lines and following them perpendicularly to
other stars, etc., that can be used to locate the south pole with enough
accuracy for antenna work.

But, never having been in the southern hemisphere, I don't know the details.
I'm sure you can find info about it on the web though.

And, by the way, Polaris isn't exactly north; it's about 1 degree off true
north.

73,
Tom, NI1N