[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 Antenna Switch

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 Antenna Switch
From: "Bill G. K3SV" <k3sv@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:39:17 -0500
I've been having big-time noise on three antennas, couldn't figure it
out. Thought it was power line noise, but after a sweep of the
neighborhood I couldn't find any definitive source. Just showed up all
of the sudden, and it would come and go with no real pattern.  After
putting up with it for several weeks I noticed one evening that the
noise would go away when I turned off the RCS-4. Took a look at the TT
archives and found the answer. Just as Tom (W8JI) reported, "it's most
often water in the fittings" etc. Waited until it was 26 degrees out to
read the archives, dumb. Went out and after a couple of hours of
"elimination", I found the problem....yep, water in the fitting of one
of the jumpers near the tower. Replaced the entire jumper and all is
back to "quiet". TT is a great source of info, I was a "mouse click"
away from ordering another relay box.      73 Bill K3SV