Re: [TowerTalk] EZ-Hang

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZ-Hang
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:26:47 -0800
>>   What is the highest elevation you can get the line up and over with a
>>slingshot/reel combo? With just the slingshot and the 60# test line
>>pulled off in front of me with out a reel I can get up to about 90'. Can
>>you get up and over a 120' tree using  a reel with the slingshot? What's
>>the best weight fishing line?
>>       73 and I remain,
>>       Lew  W7EW/W7AT

I home brewed a super slingshot using two 8' 2x4's and a 1x2 to make a
tripod configuration.  I used latex tubing commonly referred to as surgical
tubing for the stretch.  Each side had two 1/2" tubings about 24" long which
stretches to up to 7 1/2' when pulled all the way back.  (I built a little
winch out of hardware store bolts and right angle metal to pull the pouch
back).  I use a separate spinning reel and 1 or 2 oz round lead fishing
weights.

The line doesn't come out of the spinning reel without come microjerks but I
have measured the tallest height that I have shot a line over as 105'.  In
order to get that height the weight must go considerably higher to pull the
line back down completely to earth.  I also use a normal handheld slingshot
at times for shorter heights.  I usually use 10# line.

I would say that to use a hand held slingshot, wrist rocket, etc. to place a
line up 90' or more must have very
strong arms; or perhaps a generous tape measure?

k7puc