Re: [TowerTalk] Holy SteppIR!

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Joe Subich" <W4TV@subich.com>,"'StellarCAT'" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>,"'tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Holy SteppIR!
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:25:14 -0800
At 02:35 PM 12/27/2005, Michael Tope wrote:

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>

It is a mindboggling problem, but one that a few hours of modeling and
experimentation could probably answer.  You'd certainly not want to try and
do this with EZNEC or 4NEC2 or one of the graphical front ends.  You'd
probably want to write some scripts to generate NEC decks, fire off the
engine, and extract the relevant data.  Much like that nifty stuff with
optimizing view angles using Perl, etc. in QEX a few months/years ago.

>Still, even when you open up the possibilities afforded by
>arbitary element length control, it is not clear to me that you
>can achieve as clean an elevation pattern as a conventional
>vertical stack in the range of interest (say 3 to 15 degrees
>TOA). Even if you synthesize nulls looking toward the ground
>at a specific angle, you still are fighting the grating lobes that
>want to form at other angles due to the large spacing between
>the array and the ground image (e.g. can you cut down the
>ground illunimation over a broad range elevation angles without
>cutting down the corresponding direct radiation and achieve a
>broad main lobe close to the horizon?).

Yes, but....

There's no easy answer (as in a "rule of thumb" that says, with N elements,
you can get Y width main lobe and Z width null)

Jim..