Re: [TowerTalk] Holy SteppIR!

To: "'tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Holy SteppIR!
From: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:38:26 -0800
Jim,
I'm tilting the entire array in my simulation. I forgot to mention in my
earlier email I'm simulating the array on 20M.  At 0 degrees elevation or
tilt (E) the vertical beamwidth (VB) is 5.4 degrees, the horizontal
beamwidth (HB) is 31 degrees and the gain in dbi (G) is 21.5 (according to
EZNEC).  At E=16, VB=24, HB=32 and G=17.2.

For comparison, I simulated a single antenna at 65' and stacked antennas at
65 and 110'.  For the single antenna, VB=15, HB=57 and G=14.3.  For the
stacked antennas, VB=11, HB=56 and G=16.8.

Comparing the stacked antennas against the 6 antenna array tilted at 16
degrees elevation,  the array's vertical beamwidth is much wider and
horizontal beamwidth is much narrower for about the same amount of gain.
For my money, I'd probably go with the stacked antennas.  But then my money
is limited.  If it wasn't, I'd probably have 25 acres on a hilltop and would
build something similar just for fun.

Like others, I've wondered if the 5 degree take-off angle of this array (at
0 degrees tilt) is too low to be practical.  Then I remembered the signal
that Lou, EA3JE has with his 6/6/6 stack at 250'.  He is always the loudest
European on 20M when he's on the air.

Clay