To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 83
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:04:49 EST

In a message dated 12/29/2005 9:02:19 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] crankup use and  winter maintenance
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

As K8RI pointed out, it's a 'use it or  lose it' proposition
with moving equipment.  Letting it sit in one  place isn't a good idea.

However, I am surprised that nobody renewed  the discussion about
treatment of the hoist cable.  Lube, etc., to  keep water from
wicking into the wire rope, freezing and working.   The notion of
moving the tower up and down periodically not only spreads  the
wear points out, it tends to remove foreign debris...dirt,  water
and the like...from the wire rope.

I've had only two  crankups...both tubular...and in both cases I've
treated the cable.   In one case, it was regular application of rustoleum.
In the other, it was  a lube, the name of which I've completely forgotten.

I seem to recall  that Steve had specific recommendations on that topic.