Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated guys to a extreme

To: "Terry Gerdes" <terry@ab5k.net>, <TOWERTALK@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated guys to a extreme
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:57:28 -0800
At 07:49 PM 12/29/2005, Terry Gerdes wrote:
>This installation demonstrates using a existing tower as one of the guy
>anchors and guying part way up the existing tower.   Not a good idea.

Could be an ok idea, though.. All a matter of design and
analysis.  Certainly not "simple" or "cookbook", and as N5OT points out, a
pain to adjust.  However, elevated guys might solve a problem.

The idea of guying one tower to another comes up pretty commonly in rigging
across a stage, where you need a clear view between the uprights. We built
a fairly large system with 50+ ft towers 5x5ft in cross section (they were
actually crane mast segments)  about 60 ft apart that had 4 guys total (two
on each tower) and 2 cross guys from top to top.  It had to support a 50x40
ft truss assembly holding a helicopter rotor and a bigblock Chevy motor
that flew up on chain motors.  I don't know that I'd want to do it again,
but can say that the rig withstood 60 mi/hr winds without failure.
http://www.reelefx.com/Tornado/40footVolvo.htm