Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guys ??

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guys ??
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:40:39 -0000
From: "Alton J Drummond Jr" <lilrock44@hotmail.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:23 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guys ??

> Hello All,
> I am a Amateur Radio operator and I am installing a 65ft Rohn 25G. I
> dug the founation 4ft deep by 2.5 ft sq. This hole took 35 bag of
> Ready Mix. One ten foot section of tower is in the ground, 4.5 ft.
> Now, the guys, I want to raise the guys so they don't "Clothes Line"
> anyone, and I can still walk around the yard. What are some
> suggestions on doing this. I was thinking a 9' or 12'steel pole 3 ft
> in the ground with cement, How large or thick should it be, 2 or 3
> or maybe 4 inch round??? I am putting a 11 ele 70cm yagi, 13 ele 2m
> yagi and a TH6DX on this tower. I live in southeast Ala., average
> winds is 85 mph when the season is right, I am within 100 miles of
> Gulf of Mexico, Hurricanes and High winds during the Fall seasons. I
> want to do this right, any and all suggestion, I Thank You now for
> them.
> Alton J Drummond Jr
> KA7RWT / AAV4WL

You really need a structural engineer to figure this out for you, but
I think your first assumption of a 4" steel pole with 3' in-ground is
much too flimsy. I would start thinking in terms of a large I-beam
buried in a 3x3x6' deep hole with concrete and rebar. Slice the top of
the I beam at a 45 degree angle, drill three holes in it, and put one
guy through each hole with suitable hardware. If it is possible to
avoid using elevated guys, choose that method, at the expense of some
inconvenience walking around the yard.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ