Re: [TowerTalk] Building Antennas

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building Antennas
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:10:16 -0800
At 01:17 PM 1/14/2006, AD5VJ  Bob wrote:
>Hi Guys:
>
>I am embarking on my first antenna project of any
>significance (something besides wires).
>
>I am looking at doing a simple direct coaxial fed 2 ele
>yagi to start with to see if I can even make this happen.
>
>Can someone please tell me who the supplier's) are for the
>proper weather resistant mechanical parts for these types
>of projects?

Mc-Master Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) has all this sort of thing,
delivered to your door a couple days later, but it's not necessarily the
least expensive source.  Use it when you can't find another source, and
you're tired of hunting.

>Stainless Steel screws/nuts/washers

Good hardware stores.  Marine suppliers. Look in the yellow pages under "bolts"

>Aluminum Plates

Look in yellow pages under "metals" for a local supplier. Home Depot,
Lowes, and their ilk have limited selection of this.  But, what you're
really going to want to find is someone who can do some fabrication for you
(shearing/cutting).  The metal supplier might have references, or ask
around at places that are doing custom car and motorcycle fabrication.  If
you find someone who has access to a big bandsaw, plasma cutter, shear and
so forth, you're a lot farther ahead.

>Tapered Aluminum Tubing

Tapered?  Or just nesting?  Max Gain (http://www.mgs4u.com/) has stuff like
this, as does your local metal supplier.

>Anti-Oxidant coating

hardware store

>Sealant Tape for connectors

hardware store or electrical supply or McMaster-Carr or somewhere like
Newark electronics, Mouser, or Digikey

>Stainless Hose Clamps

hardware store

>Stainless U-Bolts

a little tougher to find, but anywhere that does signficant amounts of SS
hardware (yellow pages for bolts) will have these.  Mc Master Carr

>DID I MISS ANYTHING?? :0)

Jim, W6RMK