[TowerTalk] Rotator at bottom of tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator at bottom of tower
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:55:17 -0500
I am "considering" the possibility of running 105 feet of pipe extending the
existing mast to near ground level and mounting the rotator at that location.
The antenna is 20M5L48.  I have to take the rotator down because of a
maintenance issue anyway and thought that in the long run it might be nice to
have the rotator low to the ground.

The plan would be to use 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe (1.90" OD), leave the two thrust
bearings that are located at the top of the tower and down about 6 foot, add
another thrust bearing about 10 feet above the rotator and have about 3 or 4
other brackets with UV inhibited PVC bearings to center the mast from about 20
feet to about 110 feet.

If any of you have done something similar, I would appreciate knowing the pros
and cons of such a plan.

Thanks...Stan, K5GO