Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator at bottom of tower

To: stan@aqity.org, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator at bottom of tower
From: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:18:43 -0800 (PST)
Stan:

ON4UN have one tower using that setup, check the book
, there are pleanty of photos, he use big rotor at
bottom,  he use several sections  that have flange
ends where he  bolt together.
that works , but i thing you can add more antennas
than just that 20m

--- Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net> wrote:

> I am "considering" the possibility of running 105
> feet of pipe extending the existing mast to near
> ground level and mounting the rotator at that
> location.  The antenna is 20M5L48.  I have to take
> the rotator down because of a maintenance issue
> anyway and thought that in the long run it might be
> nice to have the rotator low to the ground.
>
> The plan would be to use 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe
> (1.90" OD), leave the two thrust bearings that are
> located at the top of the tower and down about 6
> foot, add another thrust bearing about 10 feet above
> the rotator and have about 3 or 4 other brackets
> with UV inhibited PVC bearings to center the mast
> from about 20 feet to about 110 feet.
>
> If any of you have done something similar, I would
> appreciate knowing the pros and cons of such a plan.
>
> Thanks...Stan, K5GO

Hector Garcia XE2K / XF1K
Mexicali B.C  DM22